Are Fedora docs readable?

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue May 10 11:29:38 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 11:53 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Thomas Jones wrote:
>
> >>I was looking for a document that would explain
> >>how Linux/Fedora decides what driver to use
> >>with a given USB device,
> >>and google directed me to usb-hotplug-tutorial.
> >>
> >>Unfortunately this appeared to be in XML,
> >>and required a DTD which I could not find.

I think we should consider requiring documentation to include a
prominent link in the DTD comments that points people to a "how to build
this document" spot on f.r.c.  Anyone care to comment?

> > http://marilyn.frields.org:8080/fedora-docs/html/usb-hotplug-tutorial-en/
>
> Thank you, that is indeed the document I was looking for,
> in readable format.

Woo-hoo, Google loveth me!

> > also for a very general description of the process navigate to:
> > http://cyberelk.net/tim/usb-storage.html
>
> Unfortunately this seems very GNOME-specific, while I am using KDE,
> and the icons referred to in the document do not exist in my system.
> However, I shall look more carefully to see if
> I can cull some relevant information from it.

Mine seems less GNOME-specific than Tim's document, but the steps will
still work.  Thank goodness it's open source!  Even though you couldn't
build the document from XML yourself, you can still suggest additional
text to me concerning KDE.  (I hope you already read the document's
admonition that it concerns only Fedora Core 2 and previous versions, so
you will find it less than helpful for Fedora Core 3 or higher.)

> Incidentally, I wish people would stick to traditional
> "black on white" text.
> This document is almost unreadable on my laptop.

Hmm, it looks great on everything I've used, from CRT's to LCD's.  What
laptop are you using, perchance?

If you were building this document, you would find that the xmlto tool
by Tim Waugh allows you to convert the original DocBook/XML text into
straight ASCII text, which is about as "black on white" as you can get.

> Perhaps this is the GUI equivalent of top-posting?

Nah, *no one* likes top-posting.  But plenty of people like xmlto,
because it lets you build the document into whatever you find most
readable!  :-)