including small bits of XML as entities

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Fri May 13 19:11:53 UTC 2005

Paul was asking me this morning ...

"I am going to ask quaid if he can figure out a way to get that XML
chunk included without the surrounding <chapter>, so it can be included
also as a <section> somewhere else, while allowing easy editing in
Emacs"

This was in reference to the common file cvs-en.xml in
the /cvs/docs/common module.

You can put _anything_ that is valid XML in a file and call it as an
entity.  Wherever you call the entity, it must be valid or an error will
occur.

For example, you can have a stand alone <section> in a single file.  If
you define the part within the fedora-entities-en.xml file or within
your parent XML file as, for example:

<!ENTITY FOO SYSTEM "./foo.xml">

Then you can call it with &FOO; anywhere that the <section> is otherwise
legal.

Similarly, the contents could be:

<para>
  This is a common thing I put all over the place so have made an entity
  for it.
</para>

You can put just that XML in a file and call it as an entity.  It must
be legal wherever you call it.  So, this would be a legal usage:

<para>
  Here is something to read:
</para>
&FOO;
<para>
  Got that?
</para>

This would _not_ be legal and would generate errors upon building or
using Emacs to validate the file with C-c C-v:

<para>
  Here is something to read: &FOO;  Got that?
</para>

- Karsten
                       Red Hat SELinux Guide