OpenOffice.org 1.9 (FC4t3)

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Sat May 14 20:06:57 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-05-14 at 19:20 +0100, Stuart Ellis wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-05-14 at 13:49 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > FWIW, I have been playing a little bit with the FC4test3 build, and as
> > of last night, OO.o now will create DocBook XML 4.1.2 documents "out of
> > the box," as long as the Java environment is installed.  This could be a
> > great step forward for our project since it would allow non-Emacs, non-
> > XML folks to write documents.
>
> Stunning !
>

> > I haven't fully investigated yet how well the XSLT stuff in OO.o works
> > to import documents.  In other words, will it serve well for
> > collaboration between people who are not using the same tool?
>
> FWIW, the main issue I had with gedit > Emacs switching was actually the
> indenting.  Emacs indents nicely for DocBook written in it, but if you
> also edit the file with something that doesn't indent then the layout
> gets messed up.  I opted to exclusively use Emacs to avoid this issue.

That's a great point.  It's why I buckled down into Emacs when I started
working in the FDP.  I would have preferred to stay with vi or use
something less daunting... but the collaboration factor is what
convinced me to take the plunge.  I'm very glad I did, because I keep
discovering new and cool things I can do easily with Emacs!

I'm sure many other people will end up taking this road too --
contributing a first cut document written in some other tool, and then
trying Emacs to make collaboration easier.  As long as people
participate, though, it's really a secondary concern.

Maybe if we can work with the new toolset in OO.o, we'll be able to come
up with something that people can live with up to the point of final
editorial.  Good backburner issue, methinks....