CVS vendor and release tags

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon May 16 12:02:11 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-16 at 00:04 -0700, tuxxer wrote:
> OK, did some preliminary commands and they seem to work (they all
> failed, actually, but I was querying modules that *shouldn't* exist
> (yet), etc. so I got results that I more or less expected).  So my n00b
> question is this:
>
> How do I do my initial import of the hardening guide?
>
> I've read the CVSUsage WiKi, and (what I thought were) pertinent
> sections of the Documentation Guide, as well as the CVS general
> documentation.  I haven't been able to glean a command line that works.
> Help?

I'm taking this to the list since it involves a general policy and
procedural concern, which is CVS tags.  In the past, Karsten and Tammy
imported my sources, since there was no One True CVS access.  In
general, the command is:

  cvs import <repodir> <vendor-tag> <release-tag>...

What are the vendor and release tags that people should be using to
import?  The answers should probably come from a consensus of three
individuals -- Karsten (has done lots of importing before IIRC), Tommy
(FDP CVS maintainer), and Tammy (resident CVS goddess).

We should probably figure out how to do this rationally to allow for
branching by Core release (viz. usb-hotplug tutorial).  I don't know how
these tags affect the structure of the repository, so I don't have any
substantial ideas to offer.  As long as the tags don't make it awkward
for the project to expand to cover things outside Core (such as Extras),
nor to handle translations, nor to branch, it's just a matter of these
folk putting their heads together, with help from other list members.