Callout style + error

Tommy Reynolds Tommy.Reynolds at MegaCoder.com
Mon May 16 12:17:55 UTC 2005

Uttered "Paul W. Frields" <stickster at gmail.com>, spake thus:

> On Mon, 2005-05-16 at 11:46 -0500, Thomas Jones wrote:
> > > So I bow to the mercy of the mailinglist and ask for help. What is the
> > > standardized styling and location of the callout images? I have built
> > > custom callouts for current development of my xml sources; but didn't
> > > want to stray from standard practice.
> I have no previous experience with callouts, other than looking at how
> they're used in "DocBook:TDG."  My chief concern with callouts would be
> the impaired-reader issue.  How, if at all, do callouts affect readers
> who, for instance, are visually impaired and use audible reader
> software?  I would think that if there is a way to avoid callouts that
> does not make the document overly cumbesome, it would be wise to do so.

AFAICT, there has not been a position taken on callouts.  The
impaired-reader issue is best solved by adding audio content because
even with text-to-audio support NONE of the pictures and such can be
rendered to audio, though pehaps the <textobject> tag might be picked
up.  DocBook has special audio-related tags when or if we get round
to making an audio translation of the material.

Perhaps we could get Garrett LeSage, who did the "stylesheet-images/"
icons for us, to render some peachy-keen callout digits.  If not, I
could probably SVG a few.

As for the crappy archive searches: YES!  My solution was to get a
gmail.com account and subscribe to the list from there in addition to
my "working" account on my desktop.  That lets me use their nifty
search tools to scan the archives.

HTH