CVS vendor and release tags

Tommy Reynolds Tommy.Reynolds at MegaCoder.com
Mon May 16 13:54:54 UTC 2005

Uttered "Paul W. Frields" <stickster at gmail.com>, spake thus:

> > How do I do my initial import of the hardening guide?
> > I've read the CVSUsage WiKi, and (what I thought were) pertinent
> > sections of the Documentation Guide, as well as the CVS general
> > documentation.  I haven't been able to glean a command line that works.
> I'm taking this to the list since it involves a general policy and
> procedural concern, which is CVS tags.  In the past, Karsten and Tammy
> imported my sources, since there was no One True CVS access.  In
> general, the command is:
>
>   cvs import <repodir> <vendor-tag> <release-tag>...
>
> What are the vendor and release tags that people should be using to
> import?  The answers should probably come from a consensus of three
> individuals -- Karsten (has done lots of importing before IIRC), Tommy
> (FDP CVS maintainer), and Tammy (resident CVS goddess).

In the "common/cvs-en.xml" updates that I've recently made, I chose
to use something like this:

	$ export CVS_RSH=/usr/bin/ssh
	$ export CVSROOT=':ext:<username>@cvs.fedora.redhat.com:/cvs/docs'
	$ cvs import <my-doc-name> <username> "initial"

as the suggested initial command sequence.  The "vendor" is not
really that important when it comes to branching, et. al., because we
should really use explicit "cvs -t foo" to mark each release point
for the document and then use "foo" as the branching/merging point.

Cheers