CVS vendor and release tags

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue May 17 01:14:18 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-16 at 17:25 -0700, tuxxer wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-05-16 at 08:54 -0500, Tommy Reynolds wrote:
> > Uttered "Paul W. Frields" <stickster at gmail.com>, spake thus:

> > > I'm taking this to the list since it involves a general policy and
> > > procedural concern, which is CVS tags.  In the past, Karsten and Tammy
> > > imported my sources, since there was no One True CVS access.  In
> > > general, the command is:
> > >
> > >   cvs import <repodir> <vendor-tag> <release-tag>...
> > >
> > > What are the vendor and release tags that people should be using to
> > > import?  The answers should probably come from a consensus of three
> > > individuals -- Karsten (has done lots of importing before IIRC), Tommy
> > > (FDP CVS maintainer), and Tammy (resident CVS goddess).
> >
> > In the "common/cvs-en.xml" updates that I've recently made, I chose
> > to use something like this:
> >
> > 	$ export CVS_RSH=/usr/bin/ssh
> > 	$ export CVSROOT=':ext:<username>@cvs.fedora.redhat.com:/cvs/docs'
> > 	$ cvs import <my-doc-name> <username> "initial"
> >

> This worked!  Although, I should have kept the '-m' tag (more
> streamlined - no vi ;-).

Whoops!  Your directory structure is a little strange.  What you've
created looks like this:

(root of all docs)

`--- hardening/
      `--- fedora-hardening-guide-whole-en.xml/
            +--- .bashrc
            `--- hardening/
                  `--- fedora-hardening-guide-whole-en.xml

Maybe Tommy or someone can:
1.  remove .bashrc
2.  get rid of two intervening redundant directories
3.  figure out what happened, and explain it to those of us who don't
CVS constantly (numbering myself among them, of course)
4.  put clearer instructions in common/cvs-en.xml