After wading through Bugzilla...

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed May 18 02:47:35 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 21:32 -0400, David A. Lane, KG4GIY wrote:
> Good evening all,
>
> My name is David Lane and among other things, I have been working with Red
> Hat since version 3 and I am currently working with Fedora Core 2 and 3 in
> different applications (such as Nessus for network testing).
>
> Anyway, looking around in Bugzilla, which I have not really been in since
> RH 8 when I had problems with the kernel on a laptop, has left me a little
> confused.  I will probably be able to figure it out once I look at it
> again, but based on what I was seeing, it looks like there is a request for
> some over the wire (network) installation instructions (which have not been
> written) as part of a general installation guide - which also seems to be
> needed, a review of the samba-ldap-tutorial (#129739) and someone wanted an
> HCL update (along with a few other already written items).
>
> Am I reading this right?
>
> I have to get CVS up and running and grab the latest snap shot as well.
>
> Anyway, with a little luck, I think I might be able to find a niche where I
> can add to the overall whole.  Personally, I am working on IPSec on the
> side, but I haven't started tinkering with it on the FC side yet...
>
> DAVID
>
> Oh, and I have also been interested in updating a very old HOWTO on AX.25
> (the "ham" howto).  But I need to pick up a TNC first.

Sounds like you're in my neighborhood (roughly speaking) from your sig,
David!  Before plunging into anything, why don't you check out the
following URL:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/NewWriters

Those will get you started.  The first one has a number of links... It's
quite a lot to digest at once, but if you can understand the workings of
the FDP from this material -- and more importantly, if you simply follow
the checklist in the second URL -- you will be well on your way to
contributing!  You can always fill in the blanks later.  Plenty of
people here will direct you to resources as you come up with questions.
The wiki is a good place to start.

The installation guide you mention is (happily) underway and will be
ready for FC4 release.  We have a number of other documents that could
use participation by enthusiastic folks, such as that Samba-LDAP
tutorial, so we look forward to your assistance!