Request for Review - Fedora Security Basics

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Oct 10 20:51:33 UTC 2005

Quoting esm at logic.net:

> On Sun, Oct 09, 2005 at 07:22:43PM -0400, Tom Diehl wrote:
> > Because requiring a passwd on a box that you can sit in front of and take
> > apart is STUPID!!
>
> Invalid assumption; one can have access to the console without having
> direct physical access. Think IP-based KVMs, where you can go so far as
> being able to power cycle a system without being able to put hands on the
> machine. Serial consoles are a similar situation.

Or a machine in a lab, where the machines are on a security loop that prevents
the opening of the case without an alarm going off...

> Granted, this is only an issue for data-center environments generally. I
> just wanted to point it out as a use case that I'm familiar with.

There are many others.  Once upon a time, almost no unix needed a root
password for single user mode.  Then suddenly, most versions added that
feature.  Do you think they would add the feature if there wasn't any
reason or need for it?

--
Eric Rostetter