Test of Docs Packaging

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 01:44:04 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 00:10 +0100, Stuart Ellis wrote:
> Just to confirm that I've now tried the packaging for example-tutorial,
> and got the expected result :)
>
> On a standard FC4 system:
>
> - yum install rpm-build
> - cvs up docs-common
> - cvs up example-tutorial
> - cd example-tutorial/
> - make rpm
>
> Produces: fedora-doc-example-tutorial-0.14-1.noarch.rpm
> containing .xml, .omf, and .desktop files.
>
> - sudo rpm -ivh fedora-doc-example-tutorial-0.14-1.noarch.rpm
>
> Produces:
>
> error: Failed dependencies:
>         fedora-doc-common is needed by
> fedora-doc-example-tutorial-0.14-1.noarch

Right.  If you update your docs-common module again, you'll get the new
stuff to package fedora-doc-common.  Of course, once you make and
install that and the f-d-e-t RPM, you'll see the problem created by not
having a Documentation menu properly set up in /etc/xdg.  However, if
you use your "Help" function and navigate to "Other Documentation" (this
will be under "Scrollkeeper" if you're using khelpviewer), you'll see
the working docs!  I'm not saying I'm proud of it, but it does at least
work.  I'm hoping for positive word from the redhat-menus guys, at which
point you'll magically see these appear in your main menu.

The current launcher there, "gnome-help," will be replaced by a helper
script stored with the common stuff, to launch the correct help viewer
for the user's desktop environment.