Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Tue Sep 6 12:20:10 UTC 2005

Hi

>In general, IMHO the advice in all cases
>should be to start with the standard tools provided.
>If they don't work, then by all means try something more sophisticated.

For all future versions of Fedora, Network Manager effectively would be
the standard tool. It tends to exposure the missing functionality is
some of the Linux drivers and depends on dbus and hal which itself are
rapidly evolving but there is no reason Network Manager shouldnt work
for any needs, basic or sophisticated.

>If you click on the NetworkManager button
>the advice on setting up NM seems to assume one is running GNOME.
>
>I would say it should be a general rule in documentation
>(except that explicitly dealing with KDE or GNOME)
>not to assume that one is being used rather than the other.

Have you reported it?. If not please do, but the general design has been
that while the backends are desktop neutral the UI itself would assume a
particular desktop environment. GNOME Volume Manager vs it's KDE
equivalent is an example of this

>Possibly;
>but the implication to me seemed to be
>that if FC did not run it was probably due to a hardware failure,
>whereas my estimation would be that the probability of this is < 5%.
>
>However, these are just my opinions;
>I would expect you to know better.

Not really. The question explicitly assumes that the users suspect that
their problems are hardware related and then there are a good number of
users who refuse to accept that their hardware could have problems and
insist that it is a kernel bug. Even a 5% is a good number to wreak
havoc on those looking at kernel reports

"My general impression is that this FAQ is in the long tradition of Unix
FAQs, which answer questions the writer would like to have been asked
rather than ones which are actually likely to be asked in the real world. "

I hope that you understand that this is precisely what we want to avoid.
If there are questions that we can answer within legal constraints go
ahead and suggest that or better yet get yourself wiki access and show
us how its done better

regards
Rahul