packaging docs-common

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 19:50:35 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-28 at 15:00 -0400, James Laska wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-09-28 at 14:39 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > Oh, I'm seeing your point now.  I allowed my brain to drift away from
> > the "docs-common" stuff and onto the case of the specific tutorials.  It
> > would be helpful, though, to keep a docs-common specific Makefile in
> > Docs CVS, though, wouldn't it?
> >
> > I do think it would be useful to keep it in line with other fedora-*
> > namespace RPMs, i.e. use %{_datadir}/fedora/<something> to store the
> > "glue."  My current plan is to use /usr/share/fedora/doc/* for our
> > stuff.  I'm assuming you probably don't care one way or the other, as
> > long as it's not somewhere insane.
>
> Not at all, which ever you feel is the best place for this stuff.  I was
> just using the spec and Makefile as a proof of concept.  Probably a good
> idea to state each file in the spec file (rather than using globs like
> common/*).  I modeled the Makefile and spec file after anaconda and
> logrotate in an effort to work well with our build system, although I'm
> not too familiar with how the build system for extras works.  Long term,
> will the fedora docs and the "goods" required to build them be packaged
> in FC or FC-Extras?

ABSOLUTELY!  Our goal is to have these in Core, since they are (1)
small, (2) nonduplicative, and (3) may presuppose lack of connection to
the outside world (e.g. the user is having troubles and needs docs but
has no Web access).  I am an Extras contributor and will be taking care
of this, no fear.  But your continued input is greatly appreciated for
giving me use cases I hadn't considered.  We should probably move this
discussion to f-docs-l; I'm setting reply-to and CC appropriately.