good <ulink> practice & general markup policy status

Mark Johnson mjohnson at redhat.com
Fri Sep 30 12:57:20 UTC 2005

>>I'd recommend using the null content form of
>>
>>	<ulink url="http://www.example.com"/>
>>
>>because it is more prone to correct usage.
>
> I'm with you, Tommy.  It's also easier to parse the XML source visually
> with this form while editing, not that this is a major concern.

Great! So we have consensus:

    The null content form shall be the recommended practice in the markup
    guide.

Short-term Timeline:
--------------------
I'll look over the threads on this list, Brad's post, & the existing
guide over next few days and summarize the status on or by October 11th.
If I don't identify any outstanding/undiscussed issues, Karsten & I will
then proceed to draft a markup policy guide. If I identify any issues
that have yet to be raised, I will certainly bring them to the table for
discussion.

A cursory glance at the Fedora Docs Guide didn't yield any mention of
conditionalization (tho I could've missed it). In my summary, then, I'll
also make some suggestions for handling conditionalization (for
different arches, say), via attribute-based profiling.

Have a weekend!

Cheers,
Mark

Mark Johnson                     <mjohnson at redhat.com>
Engineering Content Services
Red Hat, Inc.                    <http://www.redhat.com>
Tel: 919.754.4151                Fax: 919.754.3708
GPG fp: DBEA FA3C C46A 70B5 F120  568B 89D5 4F61 C07D E242