I did it!

Edward Haddock edward.haddock at hawaiiantel.net
Sat Apr 22 20:10:48 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 23:11 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 16:29 -1000, Edward Haddock wrote:
> > 	Pardon the newbie excitement but I have successfully mapped a
> > half-height external USB Hard Drive as my /home and after copying /home
> > in FC4 to it then booting into FC5 and mapping /home to it...presto
> > bango...I am now running FC5 no worries. I did lose a few things in the
> > transfer but not much. Which is quite an accomplishment for a newbie
> > like myself. Matter of fact, on a back burner, I may start writing about
> > this. I think that given the popularity I am seeing it may be wise to
> > tell people about this kind of thing so that upgrades go easier. Plus it
> > puts your data on a different partition. Anyone got any advice on what
> > else should be separated like that?
>
> Excellent, Edward!  It's always a good idea to do backups of important
> material like /home before upgrading or re-installing.  The nice thing
> about a modern operating system like Linux is that, generally, a disk is
> a disk is a disk... Whether /home is on a USB hard disk, a thumb drive,
> or a network share, it's all the same to Linux.
>
> You've hit on what is simultaneously one of the most useful, yet hardest
> to document, facets of system setup -- disk partitioning.  People use
> separate partitions for a number of reasons, and sometimes a single
> system will have easily a dozen or more partitions.  Some people do well
> taking the defaults in anaconda, and for some it means they're in for
> massive rebuilding when they realize the implications.
>
> As an example, one of my lighter-use general servers at work uses:
>
> /
> /usr
> /home
> /boot
> /var
> /var/www
> /var/ftp
> /var/lib/mysql
> /var/svn
> swap
>
> I've almost always used a separate /home, because I was lucky enough to
> start using Linux when a Solaris-savvy friend worked next door.  That we
> don't push a separate /home in the installer is due to many issues,
> chief among them being that when we start trying to anticipate users'
> needs with so many possible choices, we invariably end up helping some
> and annoying others.
>
> We've thrown around the idea of a System Planning Guide, which would go
> hand-in-hand with the Installation Guide, and talk about some of these
> very basic UNIXish issues in a way that beginners could understand.  It
> helps, when going through the Installation Guide, to know how to make
> the right choices when the installer gives you options.
>
> I hope that you will be able to stay on track with the account setup
> documentation, but it also makes great sense for someone with fresh eyes
> to help us tackle this System Planning Guide as ewll.
Aloha Paul,
I actually got a little more worked out on it last night. It is a slow
but steady process with me. I am hoping to get something intelligible
together by mid-may and then we can start going over it. A System
Planning Guide sounds like an awesome idea. Perhaps after we get the
Documentation Guide on it's feet it would be a great project to
participate in.
Mahalo
Ed