Fedora FAQs in Docs?

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 12:46:39 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-07-29 at 09:05 -0700, Karsten Wade wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-07-26 at 19:11 +0100, Dimitris Glezos wrote:
> > O/H Karsten Wade έγραψε:
>
> > > I think the idea of including it in fedora-release-note would be as a
> > > separate HTML file, *not* as part of the release note HTML itself.
> >
> > Sorry Karsten, didn't realize that you meant "directly into the release
> > notes" *package*.
>
> Yes, sorry, this package is new.  We have had a CVS repository for a
> while, but the output ended up in the fedora-release package.  We
> (meaning Paul W. Frield with the support of Jesse Keating) have created
> a new fedora-release-notes package.
>
> This means we can issue updates for content and translation.  This was
> harder to do with the fedora-release package.
>
> > I believe translators will prefer the two docs (relnotes and faq) to
> > have different PO files and not one.
>
> We'll just have to hack the Makefile a bit for that, right?
>
> If you can, take a look at what that would take.  I just checked in a
> current dump to DocBook of the FAQ, release-notes/devel/en_US/FAQ.xml.
> Can you get a stand-alone FAQ.po out of that?

Using separate PO for this document is going to create a real ugliness
in our Makefile.  (We try and avoid exceptions since they make for
maintenance headaches.)  I've done some work on the relnotes Makefile
with the intention of moving it over to Makefile.common as soon as I can
make sure it won't hurt anything else.  It will replace the current
packaging crap that I wrote last year (apparently while napping).

> If so, then we'll look at treating the FAQ like we do the Docs/Beats and
> RELEASE-NOTES.po -- freezing, converting to XML, and including in
> i18n.r.c for everyone to translate.

If we want separate PO, a separate module would be preferable.  We can
have fedora-release-notes Requires: fedora-faq if we want to package it
separately.  If we want to just package them together, one PO only is
probably the name of the game.