Breaking CVS builds

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Sat Aug 5 03:49:20 UTC 2006

It's been about six months (and one release!) since we did any major
surgery on our build tools, and we're past the test2 stage, which for
some reason seems to be our "jump into action" time here in Docs.  Tommy
and I have decided that the rpm-info.xml file ought to be in our
per-language directories, which simplifies the translation process,
since it makes at least one less "extra" Docs-only rule for translators.
THIS CHANGE WILL BREAK BUILDING FOR EXISTING DOCUMENTS.  But only
*temporarily*, assuming one does the following:

1.  Move the rpm-info.xml file into the ${PRI_LANG} directory, usually
en_US/

2.  Change the DTD reference to be one more parent up from the new
location (e.g. "../../docs-common..." becomes "../../../docs-common...")

3.  Right now, the rpm-info.xml file contains <translation> subnodes in
the <titles> element, which is where translators currently put their
translations.  The DTD will be changed to remove the <translation>
element entirely in favor of a single <title> and a single <desc>
element, which will be translated via the document's unified PO/POT
along with the other textual content.  So any <translation> nodes other
than the ${PRI_LANG} (original) language SHOULD BE REMOVED, and the
${PRI_LANG} version should simply inhabit the parent element which will
now be <title> instead of <titles>.  IOW, instead of this:

  <titles>
    <translation lang="en_US">
      <title>Foo Tutorial</title>
      <desc>A tutorial about Foo</desc>
    </translation>
    <translation lang="xx">
      <title>Foofen Tutorialste</title>
      <desc>Er tutorialste vio Foofen</desc>
    </translation>
  </title>

...we will now have this:

  <title>Foo Tutorial</title>
  <desc>A tutorial about Foo</desc>

All extra translated <changelog/revision/details> will also be removed
for the same reason.  Sorry to cause a little bit more work for the
translators initially, but at wdorst you guys should be able to pull the
old translators out of CVS from a time before the commit if needed.

Until we get everything settled, stuff may not build correctly.  I will
try and fix all the existing modules "in play," since there's not that
many to worry about.  If I miss one and you find it, let me know.  Give
me a couple days to get everything sussed out; the first modules to be
treated will be:

* release-notes
* example-tutorial
* translation-quick-start-guide
* install-guide

I should be able to get all the others done as well, but I promise those
four will be done soonest.  Questions can go to this list per usual.