Proposed new document: Kexec/Kdump Usage Guide

Jarod Wilson jwilson at redhat.com
Fri Aug 25 16:55:32 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-08-25 at 10:24 -0400, Sam Folk-Williams wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-08-25 at 09:46 -0400, Sam Folk-Williams wrote:

> > I'm guessing this should replace what is currently here:
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Kernel/kdump
> >
> > ?

Somehow or another, I wasn't even aware that was there. I could have
sworn I looked... But yeah, that stuff is a bit dated, and for some
reason wants to split up i386 and x86_64, even though the process is
identical for all platforms we ship FC for.

Side note: ia64 already has relocatable kernel support (so no -kdump
kernel needed), plus some ia64 memory alignment quirks make it a bit
different... But we don't have a formal FC ia64 release anyhow. :)

> > > I'll do it. As the kernel beat guy it's in my domain and I need to learn
> > > this stuff anyhow.
> > >
> > > Thanks for the write up Jarod -- looks great.
> > >

> OK I put it in drafts. In terms of editing I took out third person and
> clarified a few things. I think this should replace both /Kernel/kdump
> and /Kernel/kexec, which are old and have a fair amount of cleaning up
> needed.

Sounds good to me.

> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Drafts/Kexec_Kdump_HowTo
>
> Any feedback is welcome

Two minor corrections need to be made. Before both the grub.conf and
yaboot.conf examples, it says "with kexec options added". There are no
options needed for kexec alone, the options are kdump-specific, so that
should be "with kdump options added".

Other than that, lookin' good.

Thanks much,

--