Welcome

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Wed Jan 18 12:29:51 UTC 2006

Gaurav wrote:

> why o why this self introduction is needed
> ...........................as if one is applying for a job or something

It is applying for a job. A volunteer job of producing Fedora documentation.

> ..........i never seen on OSS project this kind of rigid introduction
> schemes

It is mean to understand each other while working as a team. The
information required is not rigid by any means in my opinion.

> .....your past qualifications or  some white collar job is no
> guarantee against quality or the talent ...i have seen enough 16 years
> old or hackers with no higher education code writing the best code ..
> .the content or the code submitted should be only concern

We dont judge anyone by their introduction alone. This is again to
provide some basic information about the person to gain a understanding
of each other. If the interested writers and editors willing to
contribute documentation and editorial work have not complained it isnt
a concern for others.

> ....moreover there is no such processes in tldp

As someone who has been involved in the LDP project for a long time
reviewing and producing documentation including but not limited to the
project FAQ (http://tldp.org/FAQ/LDP-FAQ/),  I am well aware that LDP is
very concerned about the quality of documentation is its website but the
processes by themselves are not enough to guarantee this as witness by
the number of outdated docs and missing authors in the HOWTO's and
guides within the project. The licenses can disallow modifications and
various documentation is about proprietary products. I have raised such
concerns before on the project but the amount of volunteers involved is
very low now and and due to this unfortunately LDP is not an ideal
example of a good documentation project. We can do potentially much better.

--
Rahul