Identity theft attempt?

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 05:57:05 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-23 at 23:38 +0000, David Fletcher wrote:
> I set up an email box specifically for use with this email list just a few
> days ago.
>
> I submitted some work to the list on Friday that I've not yet had a response
> to, but what puzzles me is that today I had a genuine email from paypal to
> the normal address that I set up for use with ebay and paypal, asking me to
> update my credit card details because it was about to expire.
>
> Also today to the address I set up for this list only, I received two
> fraudulent emails, claiming to be from paypal and Barclays, both also saying
> that my card details were about to expire, and both having http links in the
> email pointing to a server at 202.134.78.92.
>
> Has anybody else had any emails like this? I have not used this address
> anywhere but with the Documentation list.

Your email address on this list isn't really private, since it's
archived in plenty of public places.  Some of them make an attempt to
disguise or obscure your email address, and some don't.  Many of those
archival locations are frequently scanned by spammers to harvest new
addresses, so it's no surprise you got unwanted email in that account.
The only thing you can do is use a good spam filter.  I find Gmail works
well for this purpose; I get very little spam between Google's normal
filters, plus the ones on my system.  Good luck!