Fedora Documentation Style Guide

Patrick W. Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Wed Jul 5 06:53:03 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 04 July 2006 12:46, Edward Haddock <edward.haddock at hawaiiantel.net>
wrote:
>     I have been working on the Documentation guide specifically on the
> section that deals with setting up accounts and the tool chain. Maybe
> this could be added to the Documentation guide as a reference or primer
> on how to write with a style fro the Documentation Project.
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/DocumentationGuide
> 	Together the two would give new volunteers the needed information on
> how to setup and use accounts and mail lists and show them a broad sense
> of style to help maintain a consistency throughout the Documentation.
> There is Section VII which is labeled Style Guidelines.
> 	On that same page I did section II. B. but I can't figure out how to
> get the numbers to carry on correctly after the Code piece. Any thoughts
> or suggestions would be much appreciated.

My goal with the Style Guide is a much larger and more detailed guide than we
would want to include as part of the Documentation Guide.  I do feel that the
Documentation Guide should continue to carry a chapter on style, and I think
using the Style Guide as a base in creating that chapter is a good idea.  The
Documentation Guide could carry a brief overview of what the Style Guide is
and how it is valuable.  It could also summarize the key aspects of the Style
Guide, but it could simply point readers to the Style Guide for the more
extensive style information.

I've also taken the liberty of fixing the numbering for you.  The trick is to
place whitespace ahead of the tables or code blocks, just like you do with
the various numbered list elements.

I. Subject One
 1. First Thing
  {{{