Self-introduction: Tom Gier

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Thu Mar 30 18:36:07 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-03-27 at 23:22 +0200, Tom Gier wrote:
> Hi list members,
>
> Let me introduce myself: My name is Thomas Gier (Tom is just fine).

Tom, welcome.  Sorry about the rocky-road to start. :)

I see that you are self-directed and know where you are going, so don't
need to ask if you want any directions.  The team is available on
#fedora-docs usually around the clock, since we are in Asia, Europe, and
the Americas.

> Since I just switched to Fedora I think it would be best to start with
> some translations to German. Writing new or maintaining existing
> documents would definitely be an option when I'm more familiar with
> Fedora (although I doubt that my English skills are good enough for
> writing new documents).

Two thoughts about this:

* Don't hesitate to write new content, no matter what your Fedora
experience.  We have users who are far less experienced than you who
need good content from us, and your perspective and capabilities are
valuable _right_now_. :)

* We've discussed having non-English documentation that gets translated
to English.  The only requirement is to have another native
reader/speaker who can be your editor, which is true for _all_
languages.

I encourage you to write what you want in whatever language you are
comfortable with, then come here for peer review and to find a native-
reading (or very, very good non-native reader) to be your editor.

- Karsten
--
Karsten Wade, RHCE *    Sr. Editor   * http://people.redhat.com/kwade/
Fedora Documentation Project http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject

Learn. Network. Experience open source.
Red Hat Summit Nashville  |  May 30 - June 2, 2006
Learn more: http://www.redhat.com/promo/summit/