Project barriers (was Re: Self-Introduction: Chris Savage)

Karsten Wade kwade at
Fri Mar 31 17:55:37 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-31 at 08:45 -0600, Tommy Reynolds wrote:
> Uttered Edward Haddock <edward.haddock at>, spake thus:
> > On the page, it
> > states that "1. You should have a GPG key, and are encouraged to use it
> > to sign your e-mails. This enables everyone to guarantee the
> > authenticity of the e-mails that are sent.
> Edward,
> Thanks for gently reminding me of this ;-)

But it is noteworthy that signing emails is "encouraged", which is not
even a "recommendation" and certainly not a "requirement".

Edward -- when streamlining this, perhaps we could move that signing
email part to a footnote or something.  Or just make it a different part
of the NewWriters page, so we don't fool people into chasing down a
difficult path.

We definitely need the GPG key for the Fedora account, which causes you
to do the CLA, and grants Wiki, CVS, etc.

What would be nice, and I have no idea if it is feasible, is to have a
route to just-Wiki that is almost like a click-through CLA.  But is that
advisable?  Enforceable?  How do you prove that the person who agreed to
the CLA is anyone in particular?  It could have been a friend, "Just
click through this, you need that to get the EditGroup permissions."

Click-throughs are passive, people can do them without thought.  The
sign-the-CLA-with-GPG is active.

Hmm ...

- Karsten
Karsten Wade, RHCE *    Sr. Editor   *
Fedora Documentation Project

Learn. Network. Experience open source.
Red Hat Summit Nashville  |  May 30 - June 2, 2006
Learn more: