Introduction

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Sat Nov 18 15:36:53 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-11-17 at 03:24 -0600, Dan Smith wrote:
> Greetings folks.
>
> Wasn't born wth Draciron as a name. Made it up to use as a pen name
> and a stage name (Play guitar & bass).  I'm a 40 year old long haired
> Linux enthusiast.
>
> My qualifications besides willingness.

[snip lots of good quals]

I can see we are going to introduce you to some editing-for-brevity. ;-D

> I am a musician, and can also probably help with sound related stuff.
> Security related stuff. Database related work. Server related
> configuration.

We've been doing most collaborative writing via the Wiki.  FWIW, XML in
CVS is actually easier to collaborate on, but you just can't convince
people of that when they are looking at a Wiki with an [Edit] button.
So, I accept that. :)

From your intro, I can guess you might enjoy working on the 'Fedora
Administration Guide', which is targeted at syadmins:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Drafts/AdministrationGuide

OTOH, there are a few documents that are programming oriented, and which
we have no one with expertise to work on them.  For example, this needs
*serious* reworking (about four releases out of date):

http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/developers-guide/

(It should be called 'Developer Guide' instead of 'Developer's Guide'.)

If you feel like getting dirty with actual programming, we have a nicely
complex toolchain and some other work that we do directly ourselves or
working with the Fedora Infrastructure team.  Something to contemplate.

> Well hopefully that gives y'all a pretty good idea about me and my
> technical background.  I hope it'll be handy with one documentation
> project or another. Will be happy to submit a sample of more formal
> type writing. I do spell and grammar check when writing formally.
> Also please don't ask me to write docs on old school nix stuff like
> vi. I'd rather chew my leg off with a dull vampire bat than use vi.

Oh, never.  We don't want to repeat all that stuff that has been written
already; a hyperlink is just so much easier to write.  Our focus is on
Fedora, what is in Fedora, and what can be done with Fedora.  This is
true whether the audience is newbies or deep-mode hackers.

> Good to meet y'all, at least the ones still awake after opening this
> email. My ex-used to say that all she needed when she couldn't sleep
> was to ask me about computers. She'd be sound asleep in minutes.

*schnore, zzzzzzz, snup* Huh, what?  Oh, yeah, thanks, good to meet you,
too.  Come visit us on #fedora-docs on irc.freenode.net for questions or
related-to-anything chat.

- Karsten (quaid)
--
Karsten Wade, RHCE, 108 Editor    ^     Fedora Documentation Project