new Firefox/splash page for FC6?

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Sep 8 17:21:12 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-09-08 at 11:41 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-09-08 at 02:46 +0100, Dimitris Glezos wrote:
> > O/H Karsten Wade έγραψε:
> > >
> > > You've got the right idea, let's do it.
> >
> > Okey, it "tomorrow night". Here's a first version of the HTML/CSS:
> >
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DimitrisGlezos/SystemHomepage?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=fc6-browser-splash-v01.tar.gz
> >
> > Took the HTML/CSS from the release notes. Haven't check validity etc,
> > just quick coding to have something to show up in a browser.
> >
> > Comments?
>
> Looks like we may have to do this in DocBook to get translation done in
> a timely manner.  If you're not into DocBook XML, I can probably write
> it quickly from your mockup.  Before we can build, though, I need to
> figure out how exactly we're going to derive the @class attribute for
> the <a> elements from a DocBook XML attribute.  The first thing that
> comes to mind is XSL, but I want to see if I've overlooked a built-in
> method first.

Replying to myself to close a couple loops.

1.  DOING IT IN DOCBOOK XML:

Was possible, and I figured out the technical details for how to provide
arbitrary @class attributes for some elements.  This would allow
translation of the index page in several languages.  However...

2.  TRANSLATION OF HTML:

How would we get the right HTML page to come up in the user's browser?
Is there some META magic that allows autorefreshing with a page in a
different language?  And can that language be derived from the browser
environment?

3.  REARRANGING:

In any case, to accomplish #2, the fedora-release-notes package would
have to be rearranged from its current state.  This is a problem of
relative links and not wanting to have some very ugly hack to turn those
links into translatable content.  It's much preferable to have an
automatic engine that simply puts everything from one language together,
and then the links would point to the same target in every locale, that
being "./MYDOC.html".  This kind of rearranging isn't going to happen
this close to release.

Let's look at improving the situation post-FC6.

For now, Dimitris, go ahead and keep working on the page as static HTML
content.  If/when you're done with your part and ready to have it edited
and polished, send it to the list.  I'll import it into the
release-notes module and do the necessary packaging to make it work in
the Rawhide tree.  If we hurry with this, we might even make it into
test3, I'm told.