[Fwd: [Fedora Project Wiki] Update of "Docs/Beats/Extras" by DavidWoodhouse]

Dimitris Glezos dimitris at glezos.com
Fri Sep 15 14:36:17 UTC 2006

O/H Karsten Wade έγραψε:
> On Thu, 2006-09-14 at 14:44 +0100, Dimitris Glezos wrote:
>> [...]
>> I am starting to believe that the best thing that we could do is next time to
>> combine everything to something like a "Fedora handbook, version 7": Relnotes,
>> installation, desktop, administration guides, FAQ etc.
>
> I'll provide the standard caveat this project has had since the
> beginning:
>
> It is significant work to maintain a full-size guide.
>
> It could be done in a modular way, and that is what we've been doing,
> working to build up the pieces that could be an All-In-One Guide.

Yes, of course, working in a modular way can help maintenance. If the wiki->xml
conversion is complete, we could start thinking on maintaining all the content
on the wiki.

> One positive to this approach is, an All-In-One Guide is far more interesting
> output for one's work than, for example, "How To Configure Printers" ... all
> work is done with the same contribution of a printer how-to, but the result
> is a whole that is greater than the sum of its parts.
>
> One negative is that such a guide requires a quantity of contributors that
> this project has yet to provide.  Seven to ten very interested, hard working
> people plus regular contributors, all of whom have to be dedicated to keeping
> the content alive.  All of whom could see their work being published.  So,
> this negative points to the potential positives. :)

Yes, but I (too?) believe this will bring more contributors and translations to
the team. Fedora needs something like this. Lowering the barrier to
contributions (wiki?) and translations (eg have a direct download link to the po
in i18n).

One of the pluses will be that we can reduce the information duplication to a
minimum this way, thus increasing the maintainability.

>> And most importantly, it
>> needs to be printable.
>
> See the other thread about FOP and gcjclasspath; we can help move down
> this route to PDF production.

Hopefully we will manage to succeed in this. I can help with the stylesheets I
guess.

-dim

--
Dimitris Glezos