Testing the splash from XML

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 19:39:02 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-09-20 at 19:37 +0100, Dimitris Glezos wrote:
> O/H Paul W. Frields έγραψε:
> > Hi Dimitris,
> >
> > Thanks for your work on the splash page... people are very excited about
> > it.  Tommy wrote some neat script-fu to redirect a browser to the right
> > language; it should be easy for me to include this in the packaging as
> > well.
> >
> > What we also would like is the ability for our normal translation
> > process to work on the splash page as well, which means it would be
> > least disruptive both to us and the translators for it to be built from
> > DocBook XML source like our other docs.  A different CSS is easy to
> > apply in the packaging process.  So what I'd like you to do is to try to
> > build this using our toolchain, and simply copy in your CSS to see how
> > it works.
>
> Hi Paul,
>
> first of all, kudos for the good work. I tried the doc and it built just fine.
> Some observations:
>
>   1. It seems the text in your version is a bit old. I'll try to merge them.
> (that's why I wanted to go into DocBook as soon as possible).
>
>   2. We'll need to add some ID and CLASS attributes. Is that OK?

Actually, that's part of the problem that I was hoping you would see.
There's no easy way to add those attributes from inside DocBook XML and
have them stick (I've tried).  But I had a thought today that some XSLT
might be able to make it stick properly, especially if I build this
particular page as XHTML.

>   3. We should pass the HTML through `tidy` before publishing it. Something
> like: `tidy -utf8 -i -asxhtml index.html > index.tidy.html`.

-1.  We're simply packaging this onto user systems where most users are
not going to care about it other than to read the content in a browser.
How it looks is not relevant, and it could conceivably put a requirement
in place (i.e. tidy) that we are not prepared to carry over into another
build system.  KISS principle says let it ride, plus see below...

>   4. I'll provide a different CSS, that complements fedora.css.

Well, a few changes wouldn't be bad, keeping in mind that the banner
work you added and showed on the art list were *really* nice, and we'd
like to keep that, pursuant to whatever is dictated for trademark
protection.  If you find a complementary color scheme, I think that's
great.

> So, what I am going to do is try to fix the XHTML (as little intervention as
> possible) to put the CSS into work. I'll first run the tidy thing and give you
> the differences from that, so that you can put them inside the XSLT. OK?

Actually, we don't want to fix the XHTML in place.  What we want is to
be able to *automate* this procedure as part of the build process
regardless of content, and I think a diff-type patch is not a good way
of doing that.  Better would be an XSLT stylesheet to simply separate
out the two columns with a @CLASS attribute, for example.  If you can
write that, let me know.  If you can't I will find some time to do it.

cc'ing Docs to let everyone know this is progressing.