Heading styles

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 12:36:15 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-04-03 at 11:19 +0100, Dimitris Glezos wrote:
> O/H Jonathan Roberts έγραψε:
> > Hi,
> >
> > sorry I'm sending *so* many mails to the list!
> >
> > Possible addition to the style guidelines would be that
> > headings/titles should either be *all* capitalized, i.e. Cool Things
> > To Do With Fedora, or first capital and then all lower case, i.e. Cool
> > things to do with Fedora. Some documents currently have headings which
> > look like "Cool Things To Do with Fedora" - the random use of
> > capitals/lowercase is ugly, imho!
>
> FWIW, in translating to greek we decided to have only the first letter capital.
>
> But it seems it is normal in english to have many caps, right? Newspapers,
> research papers etc use it often. Is there any other reason besides make the
> sentence sound more important (pompous)?

I can't speak to other languages, but in many English style guides,
words are capitalized unless they are internal articles, short
prepositions, or conjunctions.  First words are always capitalized:

  The Prime Minister Is in the Parliament Building Across Town
  Building a Better Mousetrap
  A Briefing on Wild Animals and Their Habitats