Self Introduction: Frank

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 21:05:11 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-04-29 at 13:26 -0700, Francis Earl wrote:
> My real name is Francis Earl, for obvious reason however, I prefer
> Frank. I currently reside in Phoenix, Arizona. (PST)

Nice to have you aboard Frank.

> I'm currently not working, however I am 3 classes from an AAS in Network
> Technology.
>
> My primary purpose for joining the arts team is to hopefully make entry
> easier for people interested in Fedora. I wish to do this by providing
> information on fedoraproject.org that will hopefully assist them in
> getting started. I believe that other projects are so popular because
> the requirements for entry are lower, and hopefully I'll help ensure
> Fedora starts down a similar path.

We have several initiatives already underway to help as well, including
click-through CLA for easier wiki contributions.  Many folks have
devoted many hours to figuring out the best way to do this, and you can
also help by participating in the Fedora Infrastructure project if
you're interested.

Some other projects don't have as high a bar because their specific
legal requirements are less.  Since Fedora is sponsored by a US company,
while being run by a full community effort, it has to maintain some
minimal protections to make sure we don't legally endanger our biggest
bankroller. :-)

> I was an early contributor to Ubuntu documentation, and have made
> contributions to
> many OpenSUSE wiki pages. These are mostly related to what normal users
> will want to do when they get started, very basic things explained
> because I was sick of answering them in the IRC channels, and also to
> remind me of the process  :)
>
> I don't think anything really makes me an excellent match for the
> project. I think I simply have the time to write the pages many would
> find tedious, things directed at new users. Everyone was one once
> though, and I don't know about you, but it was very confusing for me.
> There are no User Manuals for Fedora users, I believe the wiki should
> become exactly that. A User Manual for Users by Users, and I don't think
> such things can be written by anyone but the users  :)

The Documentation Project is basically here to oversee such efforts and
make sure they maintain high standards of quality.  We're happy to see
motivated people stepping up to contribute content!

> I feel like I just went through an interview process, is that really the
> feel people want for contribution to the project?

It helps us get a feel for the relative experience and linguisitc skills
of a contributor.  That you felt you had participated in an interview is
not too far off the mark, although most folks haven't seemed to mind if
it helps them find good traction off the bat.