Admin Guide - managing disks

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 17:06:22 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-12-01 at 21:13 -0800, Richard England wrote:
> Vladimir Kosovac wrote:
> > Paul W. Frields wrote:

> >> We should encourage use of LVM.  This is now anaconda installation
> >> default, but moreover it's a better choice by far when you're
> >> administering a system for service provision.
> >>

> > Yes, that's the idea - my plan is to write pretty comprehensive LVM
> > subsection (iv). I also want to include all this other stuff (not so
> > extensively), mostly as a background info and an aid to better
> > understanding of the LVM concept. I've found this more than useful when
> > introducing people to LVM.
> >
> > Vladimir
> >

> Pardon me for intruding, here, but I hop this does not mean that you
> will be ignoring the "classical" partitioning methods. LVM may be the
> default but for many situations (non-server and laptops, notably) LVM
> may not be the optimal solution.
>
> Thanks for all the hard work being put in on this.

I'm sure the writers won't ignore the old partitioning methods, but LVM
is recommended for all installations, including laptops and non-servers.
Using LVM makes it possible to reallocate space as you need it on any
system.  I have frequently made use of this capability on my laptop,
where the older partitioning method would have created an enormous
headache, if not inviting outright disaster.  Anaconda defaults to LVM
for very good reasons! ;-)

           Fedora Project: http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/