The Great Content Migration

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Sun Dec 2 18:10:47 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-12-01 at 22:39 -0600, Mike McGrath wrote:
> Karsten Wade wrote:

> I think it will be very unlikely to have multiple instances of Plone
> (one for docs and one for the web team)

OK, this is probably just my ignorance of how Plone operates.  I suppose
our custom workflow just sits in a special space, and the regular Plone
workflow can be applied to the rest of fedoraproject.org.

> Content duplication, multiple redirects, poor software on the backend
> for what we're doing, no integration with FAS, out-dated inaccurate
> information.  I guess when I look at the docs site I see good accurate
> information and when I go to the wiki (and when people come to me with
> links from the wiki) I often feel like some (not all) of the content
> just is old or otherwise inaccurate.  Either way, very little of it is
> for users and I can see a non-developer getting lost easily.

> I'm not really concerned about size so much as target content.

> But who's the target audience for the wiki?  In the past its sort of
> been targeted for everyone but the content was mostly just for developers.

Yep, this is the central question.  Can we answer it?  Is it for:

* Helper contributors writing/maintaining content for end-users
(#fedora, fedora-list)?

* Project contributors tracking notes, processes, scratches, ideas,
hacky workflow, hacky web forms, etc.?

* Administrators creating hacky processes, etc.?

* Content creators working on drafts and collaborating?

Maybe all that can continue to happen, but we only craft a clickstream
for one audience.

If choosing that, I would seriously consider 'community docs for helper
contributors.'  That is, start to pull in all this helper docs that are
all over the place into one place, and make them easy to find.

Then each ProjectName/ namespace would be responsible for it's *own*
clickstream from the ProjectName and ProjectName/Join pages.

> Once Jon's Plone instance is up will you guys need a wiki anymore at all
> (for your actual docs workflow and stuff?)

For a while most likely yes.  If the WYSIWYG editor in Plone spurs
adoption, maybe we'll be able to move e.g. the release notes beats
entirely there.  The challenge is, right now, we can encourage *all*
contributors (with EditGroup) to easily contribute to the release notes.
If we move that to a Plone space, we'll see that dry up.

- Karsten
--
Karsten Wade, Developer Community Mgr.
Fedora : http://quaid.fedorapeople.org