DUG

John Babich jmbabich at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 18:48:00 UTC 2007

On Dec 7, 2007 5:22 PM, Marc Wiriadisastra <marc at mwiriadi.id.au> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Can we come to a consensus on what else needs to be done to make this
> doc a reality.

To kick off the conversation, let's keep in mind what is the main purpose
of the DUG.

1. The DUG is first of all a DESKTOP user guide. The emphasis is on GUI
apps vs. CLI apps. So almost all apps are GUI apps rather than detailed
explanations of apps and/or servers running in a terminal session.

The beauty of Linux is the tremendous number of choices of apps to use.
Chris Tyler's Daily Packages site does an excellent job of uncovering
lesser-known apps of great value.

2. Our aim is the opposite: to explain to the new Fedora user what the
mainstream apps are.

There are two types of apps: common and desktop manager-specific apps.

2a. Common apps are Mozilla Firefox, OpenOffice.org, etc. Most of these
are not only available for Linux, but other OS platforms like Windows and
Solaris.

2b. Desktop manager-specific apps are apps considered part of the
GNOME, KDE and Xfce desktop manager projects, for instance.

> At the moment it's in pieces which is fine and people are working on it.
> I'm just curious as to what topics need to be covered in order to make
> it useful to the end user.

See above.

> There is (IMO) some overlap between the Admin guide and the Desktop one
> and there will always be so with that thought should we transfer some
> topics across?

Keep in mind who are the target audiences for the Admin and Desktop guides.
The Admin guide is intended to help sys admins who maintain Fedora Linux
systems running servers such as HTTP, FTP, IMAP/POP3, etc., among other
tasks.

The DUG has already been pretty well-explained above. Most new users see
GNOME apps first, then some KDE apps, and perhaps explore Xfce for use
with older, lower-memory machines.

> Would love a target in place makes things easier to say yup completed
> edit ready etc.

Do you have something like

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Drafts/AdministrationGuide/Contributors

in mind? I can make one up for DUG if you like.

Thanks for being interested in contributing to the DUG and let's get a
Fedora 8 version out before Fedora 9 is released. :-)

Best Regards,

John Babich
Lead writer, DUG