Gnome and KDE

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Dec 10 20:17:43 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-11-27 at 10:39 -0500, Jason wrote:
> Last night in IRC it came up about documenting both KDE and Gnome
> walk-throughs when writing docs. This is sort of aimed at John and his
> group working on KDE stuff already, do you want KDE docs written
> separate? For example would it be OK to include a menu walk-through for
> both Gnome and KDE when writing an independent doc (e.g. not
> attached/related to the DUG)? My thought is that a single doc that
> includes all the relevant instructions for a particular task would be
> good. However, if the larger idea is to have 2 separate doc trees (i.e.
> Gnome and KDE) then this would not be a good idea.

Obviously this is not clear enough.  Is there somewhere good in the wiki
we can put down this rule?  Under DocsProject/WorkFlow?

I think this is just knowledge shared on the list and not yet
documented. :)  The idea is to have all you need in one doc, and in a
consistent manner that is useful.  Also, this gives you a cascading
pattern of importance, so if you have to fall short in content or need
to bring in help, it is easier to assign them to a broad range (all KDE,
all CLI, etc.)

So, a chapter and sections could go like this:

= Cool Tech =

Summary.

== Using Cool Tech for Task 1 ==

== In GNOME ==

== In KDE ==

== Using CLI ==

== In XCFE ==

(It's not necessary to make separate == sections == for each, that could
just be the order used within a single section.)

That means we prioritize documenting by the default (GNOME), the next
popular (KDE), the useful anywhere but not a GUI (CLI), and the last
popular/used (XCFE).

By using a consistent order, if anything is missing we can either put a
NO CONTENT WRITTEN mark or otherwise leave it out, and hopefully give
the reader enough clues to not get lost.  As ugly as it sounds, it seems
like it's necessary to be useful to the widest range of potential
readers.

Let's confirm or fix, iterate, and get a consensus on what form we want
this to take.

- Karsten
--
Karsten Wade, Developer Community Mgr.