Dug contents

Marc Wiriadisastra marc at mwiriadi.id.au
Tue Dec 11 13:54:11 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-12-11 at 22:41 +0900, Marc Wiriadisastra wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I changed to a new title since I want to flesh out some content that
> needs to be done in order to complete the DuG.  I'm hoping that I can
> get some work done this week.  I think in two weeks it should be ready
> since next week I'll be on holidays at home on my own :-)
>
> Table of Contents
>      1. Introduction
>              1. About this document
>      2. Desktops - Description of Gnome and Kde (could add XFCE)
>      3. Logging into the Desktop
>              1. Logging in
>              2. Loggin in: An Explanation
>              3. I cannot login: Help!
>      4. Tour of the GNOME Desktop - Associate things relating to gnome.
>         Trash, icons etc.

There used to be video tours of Gnome, KDE ???? Can this be linked to
the marketing group for showing the new Gnome, KDE?

>      5. Tour of the KDE Desktop - Kicker minimal icons?

Lacks pictures seems very bland.  I haven't used KDE for a long time is
there a way to spice it up???

>      6. Tour of the Xfce Desktop -
>              1. XFCE desktop panel
>              2. Xfce Window list Panel

Nice looking desktop is there a way of using the tour that we used for
marketing if possible?

>      7. Using Media
>              1. Understanding
>              2. Exploring Media
>              3. Writing CD's
>              4. Using Nautilus in Gnome
>              5. Using K3b in KDE
>              6. Using Gnomebaker in Gnome

USB sticks?
Creating CD's? not mp3 not sure if this is legal but just asking.

>      8. Connecting to Internet
>              1. Configuring Internet access
>              2. Configuring PPPoE
>              3. DHCP Connection
>              4. Static IP

Don't think static ip's can be done 'easily' with the new
networkmanager.  Lots of discussion on devel if I remember correctly.

>              5. Wireless

Big job but mostly for me it works out of the box so I'm not sure what
to achieve here?

>              6. VPN

No content needs content since I use it a fair bit.

>              7. Network Manager

New F8 features.  Is there a feature list available from the packager
maybe?

>      9. Accessing the Web
>              1. Using firefox
>              2. Navigating the web
>              3. Tabs
>              4. Exentions
>              5. Going further

Could useful links for fedora be put in here?  Such as fedoraforum.org
brief explanation. So on and on.

>     10. Communications (Email, IM)
>              1. Evolution
>                      1. Using Evolution
Needs content?
>              2. Pidgin
>                      1. Configuring Pidgin
>                      2. Using Pidgin
Needs content
>     11. Office Tools
>             1. Openoffice description then a reference to a website

Very limited info.  Can we link templates or openoffice extras

>     12. Financial Software
>              1. Gnucash
>              2. Kmymoney

Needs content

>     13. Playing Multimedia (Music & Video)
>              1. Playing audio cd's
>                      1. Converting audio cd's to music files
>              2. Organizing your multimedia files
>                      1. playing videos
>              3. Fedora's approach to multimedia support
>              4. Further Info

gtkpod? I believe it is shipped or going to be shipped within fedora.

>     14. Playing Games
>              1. Brief description of default games

minimal content needs to fill it out.

>     15. Managing Photos
>              1. Connecting your Camera

Can we give examples of different cameras?

>              2. Organizing and Importing Photos
>                      1. Selecting a Filing Method
>                      2. Categorizing your photos

Mugshot?

>     16. Sharing Your Desktop

Needs content

>     17. Customizing the Desktop
>              1. Changing your theme
>              2. Changing the background
>              3. Customizing file browsing behavior

Can we give an explanation or an example walk through to make fedora
really nice.  Also would be great with pics of some desktops that look
good.

>     18. Managing Software With Pirut
>              1. Browse Software
>              2. Dependancies
>              3. Search Software
>              4. List Software

iscussion about disabling cdrom repo?  Also could be used like a FAQ for
continued questions

>     19. Updating Software With Pup
>              1. Update Notification
>              2. The package updater

Again same issues as above.  How to disable it or enabled it amybe?

I would love some feedback on additional programs used to improve the DUG

Cheers,

Marc