Dug contents

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Dec 12 15:44:09 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 19:17 +0900, Marc Wiriadisastra wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-12-11 at 19:03 -0500, Paul W. Frields wrote:

> > equivalent KDE doc).  The GNOME DUG is exceptional and rewriting it
> > seems redundant.
>
> Maybe in the KDE, XFCE and Gnome section the basic settings such as
> keyboard, screen resolution, mouse, sound  and keyboard shortcuts should
> be added to each to show users where to go?

Once upon a time we decided that was too low level for Fedora, that we
had to presume our users had *some* computer experience and that Fedora
wasn't the first time they had booted an OS.

Myself, I'd steer clear from working at that level of content.  But
maybe the time has come for it?  Let's discuss.

As for the existing GNOME and KDE DUGs, that is a good point Paul makes.
I don't think we ever intended to duplicate that guide.  Obviously,
there is much more to a Fedora desktop user experience than the
GNOME/KDE DUG can cover.  Maybe we should focus on what the GNOME/KDE
DUG does not provide, and use them together, with our DUG referring
liberally to the GNOME and KDE DUGs.

Unfortunately, these GNOME and KDE docs are under the current GNU Free
Documentation License (GFDL) and cannot be modified by Fedora.  This is
because we cannot use the GFDL, so would not be able to adhere to the
terms of the license.

- Karsten
--
Karsten Wade, Developer Community Mgr.