Self-Introduction: Timothy Murphy

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Thu Dec 20 11:43:59 UTC 2007

On Thursday 20 December 2007 05:27:31 am Murray McAllister wrote:

> > I followed the instructions for sending one's gpg key to the MIT server
> > in <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/UsingGpg/CreatingKeys>
> > but they did not work - the command
> >   gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --send-keys 0x1381C1A4F
> > resulted in the error message
> >   gpg: "0x1381C1A4F" not a key ID: skipping

> Thanks for joining. I'm glad you got your keys sorted out. That was
> almost correct, but you do not need the 0x pre-pended (so it would be
> 1381C1A4F). Out of curiosity, where did you find that information
> (0x)?

I actually tried with and without 0x,
as well as using capitals and lowercase.
All resulted in the same error.

I'm afraid my conclusion is that the command as given
in <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/SelfIntroduction>
simply does not work.

In any case, it is bad documentation to say that one should give the KEYID
without explaining precisely what that means,
or better, giving an explicit example.

I note that kgpg adds the port (11371) to the URI;
I don't know if that is necessary.

As for using the prefix 0x,
you will find that if you google for "gnupg keyid"
almost all the examples given do this.
It is of course the Unix standard for hexadecimal notation.
However, I tried with and without, as I said.