DUG = Gnome centric

John Babich jmbabich at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 17:57:09 UTC 2007

On Dec 21, 2007 7:53 PM, Karsten Wade <kwade at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-12-21 at 16:56 +0900, Marc Wiriadisastra wrote:
> > Hey All,
> >
> > Need a bit of feedback I know there was discussions about adding
> > KDE/XFCE to the DUG did we get a definite response as to whether we were
> > separating the KDE into a separate DUG or whether we were combining the
> > whole lot?
>
> Did we reach a consensus?  Not sure, to be honest.

As leader writer, I proposed that we keep it together, with
cross-links and a clear direction where to go regarding each desktop
manager and what apps are shared in common, such as OpenOffice,org and
Mozilla Firefox.

See http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-docs-list/2007-December/msg00047.html.

> My opinion is to put it all in one guide.  Use a regular structure that
> presents information in the same order:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Drafts/DocTemplate

That's my view.

> > The reason I ask this is because there are a lot of gnome centric lines
> > in there which doesn't bother me but it may affect a new user.
> >
> > My thoughts simply put are create separate guides with overlaps such as
> > copying everything and making a Fedora kde guide.
>
> That is more work for not any more benefit (that I can see.)

Let's concentrate on the integrated DUG. Later on, if we want a
tailor-made guide for a given LiveCD, for example, we can excerpt it
from the main guide.

> > Would love feedback on this one because as I go through I'm trying to
> > remember how KDE runs things.
>
> Also remember not to duplicate what is already in the GNOME and KDE User
> Guides.  We can cover something with a sentence and a pointer (deep
> link) the appropriate upstream guide.

Agreed. The perfect example are the common apps. We might have
something on how to launch them in the common section and point to
that from each desktop manager section - just one approach.

Best Regards,

John Babich
Lead writer, DUG