Self-Introduction: Timothy Murphy

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sun Dec 23 21:52:20 UTC 2007

On Sunday 23 December 2007 04:42:07 pm Paul W. Frields wrote:

> > What for instance do the lines
> > gpg --keyserver hkp://subkeys.pgp.net --send-key KEYNAME
> >
> > For KEYNAME, substitute the key ID of your primary keypair.
> > actually mean?
> > Why not just give an example instead of this abstract terminology.
> >
> > Assuming the "key ID" means something like "D575F650"
> > then the advice in my experience does not work.
>
> I just performed this step on my machine again, using my key ID
> "BD113717," and the procedure worked fine.

What precisely are you doing?

My statements are:

1. It is not clear what "key ID" means.
If you google for this term,
you will find that the ID is normally prefaced with 0x.
Here for example is the entry in "PGP glossary"
To enable PGP to distinct between a username (userID) and the key ID, the
keyID is prefixed with 0x, for example 0xDD934139. ...

But my main point is the term "key ID" _is not clear_,
and should be accompanied by a concrete example.

> I have done this many times,
> both with a prepended "0x" and without, and all of these operations
> succeeded.

If you go to pgp.mit.edu (which appears to be the point of the exercise)
and put in your ID without 0x, is it found?

> I've confirmed the success using wireshark to look at the
> network traffic.  I think if you are having a problem -- the nature of
> which I can't tell from the information you gave -- it might be on your
> end.

I'm not having a problem at all.
I'm saying that the documentation is not clear.