At last

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Mon Dec 24 13:26:59 UTC 2007

    I wanted to test the key I put in pgpMIT so using seahorse I find
that "Find Remote Keys" will go out on the Internet and try to match and
get key data for the key ID you give it from the remote sites. There are
two listed.

    I looked for my new key but it was not to be found. I tried some
other peoples key and they could not be found either. I have found my
own this way in weeks past.

    Why is it not working now? I am an Electrical Engineer and I can
visualize what pgpMIT must have in a hardware sense. For sure it has a
computer with a database which is backed up very well to other computers
at MIT. The problem is some hardware that was hand made or perhaps
software written on another computer that can be reached by the
Internet. It has to have handshake system that takes data at unknown
speed and stores it for a short time. It has to have logic that knows
what the input must be, and when it is done. Also it checks the data it
saved and if it passes it tells the sender it is done.

    Another program is needed to also listen to the Internet for a
person wanting to check/get the public key of someone. This data is
shorter like 8 bytes and can be selected in that way. There are problems
however with selecting a path based on data length alone. In any case
this data is sent to the main computer database and the proper data
withdrawn and sent to the remote computer connected to it. There is a
rats-nest of loops in such a device and I bet it fails a lot of the
time. It gets a lot of garbled data input from the world and that does
the trick.

    At this moment I can't reach this server with my seahorse and I know
at least in concept why.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI