DUG

John Babich jmbabich at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 12:55:53 UTC 2007

On Dec 28, 2007 6:22 AM, Marc Wiriadisastra <marc at mwiriadi.id.au> wrote:
> <snip>
>
> Just a quick update on the wifi guide and all of that.
> I'm looking to put a list of cards that are supported however
> I don't know which cards are supported.
>
> I've contacted Bill and he replied to contact John Linville
> which I have done but I'm assuming he's out of the
> office/holidays and I'm waiting for that list.  I'm assuming
> next week he'll be back or the week after so I will update that
> page when I get the confirmed information.
>
> The other thing that I'm wondering about is whether we should
> provide a guide on how to use the b43-cutter program?  The cutter
> program is supported but the drivers are proprietary therefore
> in order to provide a guide I would have to point them to the
> proprietary websites.

As you may know,. wifi connectivity is getting better, with more
unencumbered wifi drivers. At the same time, there are some
manufacturers, such as Boardcom, who won't release open-sourced
drivers and no one has yet reverse-engineered one.

There are two ways to use proprietary Windows drivers with Linux:
ndiswrapper and b43-cutter. Both require the use of  encumbered
binaries

It is no secret that the Fedora Project does not condone the use of
encumbered binaries, as this is against the spirit and practice of
promoting FOSS software and practices. Official Fedora docs should not
contain directions on how to do this. Of course, the tools are there
and there's always the repository-which-must-not-be-named.  This
repository exists because there are countries in the world where the
laws are different. However, Red Hat, incorporated in the US, is
subject to US laws.

This is both for well-documented legal and practical reasons at
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ForbiddenItems.

Of course, codeina is another story, even if controversial. It's
already documented at
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Multimedia/Codeina. We may want to link
to this page or incorporate it directly into the DUG.

> Would love some feedback on that last issue.

You just got it :-)

Best Regards,

John Babich
Volunteer, Fedora Project