what writing tools do you use?

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Nov 14 20:57:02 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-07 at 08:52 +1000, Murray McAllister wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I am writing on behalf of my fellow content authors at Red Hat Asia
> Pacific. We are curious to know what tools everyone is using for
> writing, including editors, research tools, diagram tools, graphic
> tools, and so on. This is sort of a survey, and we are always keen to
> try out new tools/ways of doing things if they will improve on what we
> currently use.

= Writing =

* WordPress, Wiki -- browser based editing + the Firefox 'It's All
Text'[1] extension (loads HTML TEXTAREA into my $EDITOR, saves countless
hours of badness and lost productivity.)

* Emacs -- all DocBook XML work done here, it's still the best.  I also
do most of my note taking and initial drafts here.  I also compile
documents from within Emacs (M ! to do a shell command, then 'make
html-en_US' etc.)

* OO.org -- for business documents when I need to collaborate with
others who are not savvy with text and diff tools. :)

= Graphics/Diagrams =

In order of usage for writing tasks:

1. Inkscape -- has replaced most of my usage from before

2. GIMP -- for raster image tasks

3. Xfig -- I prefer this over Dia, it seems better featured and I like
the way it works

4. Dia -- when all else fails or I need a very quick diagram that
includes network equipment images

- Karsten

[1] https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4125

--