SIGs, projects, and leadership

Marc Wiriadisastra marc at mwiriadi.id.au
Mon Nov 19 00:04:47 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-11-18 at 10:28 -0800, Karsten Wade wrote:
> Right after reminding us that steering committee (FDSCo) elections are
> due right away[1], Paul asked on IRC this morning if we should consider
> reverting to a SIG status:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DefiningProjects#SIGs
>
> I have concerns about that reverting concept based on the way a SIG and
> a project are described there, but I think I have a grasp on what Paul
> is saying.
>
> A SIG has fewer requirements for leadership to do stuff such as:
>
> * Hold and attend regular meetings
> * Hold elections
> * Report across to other projects in a predictable manner
>
> We don't seem to be doing any of those three very well.  I'd be tempted
> to follow the Fedora guideline of "when you cease being effective as a
> leader, quit and get out of the way."  Another option is for more of us
> (including me!) to be stronger leaders and embrace the role of making
> the project details work, to support all of you in the great work you
> are doing.
>
> Regardless, these are matters that shouldn't directly affect our ability
> to produce content.  But they do affect how we move into the future.  So
> far, being a project seems to have helped our growth and focus.
>
> What next?
>
> A. Revitalize the Docs Project leadership, hold elections, and keep
> things moving
>
> ... or ...
>
> B. Reduce complexity and scope of leadership to focus on a SIG and just
> getting stuff done
>
> I've been trying to find my way back to A, and if that is our consensus,
> I'll work harder at making it happen.
>
> thx - Karsten
>
> [1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/Policy/FDSCoElections
> --

>From my point of view I'm not to sure of the history and my comment is
probably invalid.  Is there a reason why meetings are attended?  Times,
days of the week?  I know I can't attend meetings because of the time.

Are there sufficient people in the docs.project to actually be a
project?  If not switch to a SIG and request that the marketing group
start marketing for more volunteers.

Can we have a calender to plan stuff similar to how packaging has a
target of what needs to be done.  The only difference for us is that we
are dependent on other people in some parts of the docs areas.  Plus a
lot of the stuff that is created is a revolving calender.

My $0.02

Marc