SIGs, projects, and leadership

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Nov 21 19:18:39 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-21 at 13:11 -0500, Paul W. Frields wrote:

> I fear my blurting out something that came to mind has made me seem a
> little too much like an agent provocateur.  But in essence, this is
> indeed what I meant: that with the few hands we have, perhaps we're best
> served by eliminating as much administration as possible, to the extent
> it frees up resources/time.

You are right, I picked up on this as a theme and a way to get a
conversation going.

We just have overly-stretched leaders, but the project itself is
healthy.

As I'm trying to renew *all* the commitments in my life that have been
suffering over the months, I want to be sure that each one still needs
me and what I have to offer.

Also, I think it's good to have a strong leader for an important project
like this one.  I just want to make sure there is room in this garden to
grow other leaders.  When there are too few of us, we spread ourselves
thin, and it acts like a mulch that suppresses the growth of other
leaders.  It's a bizarre and ironic effect.

A solution is to rip ourselves up from doing tasks, thereby making room
for someone else to do that task, get the nourishment, and grow.

Therefore, elections *and* a review of who is doing what are both very
useful right now.  Let us proceed.

- Karsten

"Onward!" - Sacha Labourey
--