Request to withdraw outdated tqsg translated version

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 12:54:52 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-11-30 at 10:13 +1000, Noriko Mizumoto wrote:
> Hi Paul and docs team
>
> As you already noticed, we translators aggressively have started
> translation of TQSG. However there are several languages which have not
> been yet completed their update. For example, clicking 'Japanese'
> results showing old version, but new translator may not know that it is old.
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/translation-quick-start-guide/
>
> So could you kindly withdraw old version from the above tentatively till
> fully updated translation is committed?

I wonder if it might make sense to have some sort of notice on the index
page stating what the current released version is, to avoid confusion.
However, that wouldn't be as much help if someone links directly to a
locale-specific document.  In other words, we could put a notice here:

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/translation-quick-start-guide/index.html

But if someone linked to:

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/translation-quick-start-guide/ja/index.html

...they'd never see the notice.  Probably still worthwhile, I would
think.

I'm not too keen on constantly removing and adding documents from CVS,
which could end up being a maintenance nightmare, not to mention a major
abuse of SCM functionality.  Does anyone have some better ideas for
marking these documents to make sure that readers know they're looking
at something out of date?

/me notes ruefully that this would probably be easy in Plone.

           Fedora Project: http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/