The Great Content Migration

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Fri Nov 30 22:35:22 UTC 2007

(sent to both docs and websites, though not cross posted)

Now that F8 shipped and F9 is on the horizon, its time to look at moving
some more of that content out of the wiki and either into
docs.fedoraproject.org and fedoraproject.org.  This won't be a fun task.

Pros:
1) We'll have more control and process around the content that goes to
these sites.  This allows us to make it more 'official'.
2) It will be more easily translatable.
3) Less reliance on Moin

Cons:
1) It raises the barrier to create these pages
2) It adds more process
3) Its difficult to determine what content belongs where.

I've created an initial
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Websites/Removables page for stuff thats
in the wiki that is a good candidate for the static content.  The trick
here is that, and lets be honest, much of what is on the wiki right now
is garbage.  This is especially true with regards to our end users.  I
think focus on fp.o should be on consolidation.  Users have short
attention spans, so less is more.  If we find the need to have a
higher-detail document, it should probably be in the docs realm and use
its processes.

What do you guys think?

    -Mike