Docs toolchain

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 17:22:33 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-04-05 at 07:54 -0700, Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-04-05 at 09:59 +0800, Marc Wiriadisastra wrote:
>
> > I would make the point about date and time issues that people consider
> > who should be there and who shouldn't.
> >
> > I mean if the average docs user should be present maybe change the day
> > to a weekend if we can. 11am on Friday would mean I would be at work
> > so
> > I can't be there.  If I don't need to be there then it's all good :)
>
> This is a good point to consider for those of us paid by RHT to be
> present at the meeting.  When we have meetings scheduled to happen
> during business hours, we unconsciously exclude the non- at redhat.com
> folks.
>
> In the end, we all get inconvenienced to some degree.  My default over
> the years has been to take the inconvenience on myself and others who
> are here because of their $dayjob.[1]
>
> Sadly, this is actually the hardest with folks in Oz.  Business hours in
> the States are almost exactly the opposite of those in Australia, so
> either people in the US have to attend during "work hours", or
> vice-versa.

> * Hold two meetings:
>   - one that lands in Aus/Singapore/other APAC working hours but is
> after hours in the US/EMEA
>   - one that lands in the before/after hours for APAC but is in the
> work-hours for the US/EMEA
>
> * Seek a 'perfect time' for each meeting using a time matrix
>
> - Karsten
> [1] Easier and less risky than teaching people to tunnel IRC over ports
> 80 or 42

I'm willing to meet during or after hours, but the real problem, as you
said, is that people in Oz or other APAC are going to be hard pressed to
meet at anytime that's "after hours" for Europe.  The fact that IRC and
the list make it easy to follow up on the conversation mitigate that
problem quite a bit.

I'm open to changing the date, no problem.  The folks in Red Hat BNE who
need to be involved should let us know here if that's a problem for
them.  So, a new primary meet time could be:

Saturday, 10 May 2008, 0100 UTC/1100 Brisbane
= Friday, 09 May 2008, 2100 EDT/1800 PDT

Anyone?