web-only Release Notes

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 16:10:19 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-04-13 at 07:42 -0700, Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-04-13 at 18:02 +1000, Murray McAllister wrote:
>
> > If I keep committing changes now (to XML), won't it mess up translations?
>
> Sorry, you are right!  I keep forgetting that we are all working in the
> same /devel ...
>
> The risky part is if a new POT file is built and committed.  Otherwise,
> it wouldn't mess up the translation %, aiui.
>
> Paul -- how have we handled this in the past?
>
> At the least, you could do the work in your local checkout and not
> commit until after PO freeze.

You've got it right -- we generally don't commit anything into XML (that
we can't fix in the PO ourselves) until after we've picked up PO for the
Gold/GA release, built the SRPM, and shipped it for the release.  If
there are number changes or other trivial fixes that we can fix in the
PO files without bothering translators, that's OK.

Then we commit any new *substantive* changes into XML and ship a new POT
for the translators to work on for the zero-day release.