Seneca tech comms and Fedora Docs

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Sat Aug 23 17:43:02 UTC 2008

As one of the efforts in the Fedora/Seneca collaboration[1], the Fedora
Documentation project is working with a technical communications class
at Seneca College.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/Seneca_College_tech_communications_class_plan_2008-2009

This is an extension of the new Fedora collaboration, which is building
on the success Seneca College has had pairing with (primarily) the
Mozilla Foundation.  The basic idea[2] came up in a session at
FUDCon[3].  After that, I met with Beth Agnew and Chris Tyler[4].  Beth
is coordinating on the Seneca College side.  She has a vision for the
collaboration that fits very well with the way we do things in Fedora.
We can expect students to start appearing very soon after the class
starts this Fall.

Our tasks:

* Get a complete task list done
** Full specifications and requirements
* Make a list of willing mentors to work with students

For an example, I'm going to pick on Eric Christensen (Sparks):

        1.  Sparks completes a basic outline for the user and
        administrator sections of the Security Guide, with full
        consideration for existing content coming in from the Fedora
        Deployment Guide.

        2. Next he and other Security Guide writers create a stand-alone
        task page with full details and assignments.

        3. By keeping a goal on modular and sustainable work, there is
        plenty to give students to work on in both wiki and XML, with
        small and large writing/editing projects.

I'm really excited about this project.  It is going to bring new and
passionate contributors, get multiple documents completed, and help us
hammer out modern processes where we are lacking.  Goals and
philosophies between the Seneca College tech comms group and the Fedora
Project are highly similar.  I had many "Yes!" moments talking with Beth
where she was describing how they do the writing class.

- Karsten

[1] There doesn't seem to be a canonical page on this project (yet).
	http://lwn.net/Articles/283274/
	http://www.linux.com/feature/140097
	http://cdot.senecac.on.ca/
[2] http://iquaid.org/2008/04/10/looking-for-a-tech-writing-class-to-help/