self introduction

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Thu Dec 4 07:17:00 UTC 2008

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 11:16:25AM -0500, Shajia Khan wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>

> My name is Shajia Khan . I am a student of Technical Communication, Seneca
> College, Toronto. From the January 2009 till April 2009 I will have my co-op
> semester and I am planning to work with Fedora project in the area of
> documentation writing and editing to gain my co-op experience.

Sorry it took so long to reply, as you may know, we hold Thanksgiving
in the US at a very odd time, so some of us got distracted last week
and are still recovering. :)

[snip loads of good qualifications ...]

I also am a lit geek and product of writing, journalism, and the
like.  Very glad to have you here.  You might not be surprised to
learn that technical projects always have an abundance of technical
experts and a dearth of clear communicators.

(Although, to be fair, open source has an unusually high percentage of
folks who are clear communicators; it seems to come with the
territory -- always a few with liberal arts experience.[1])

> I will be able to work full time for Fedora, so I am looking for lots and
> lots of works

Then I hope we can respond fast enough. :) What is happening right
now, everyone with useful knowledge trapped in the brain is working
quickly and diligently through the month of December to greatly
improve the Docs Project process content.  How and where to get
involved should become much clearer.  It will help pages such as these
make better sense:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs_Project_tasks#Content_tasks
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs_Project_tasks_for_students

Those do a need an update since the Fedora 10 release.

Highlights:

* Most of our longer guides need lead writers -- people committed to
  working on them and seeing them through to published.

* Following the release-related content (Release Notes, Installation
  Guide), we have an opportunity to focus on:

  - Fedora User Guide - end-user help document needing update to
    Fedora 9 and Fedora 10
  - Fedora Packaging Guidelines - reorg and rewrite
  - Fedora Deployment Guide - big
  - Fedora Security Guide - in progress
  - Fedora Common Services Infrastructure (CSI) Guide - in progress

That list is ordered by in increasing difficulty of technical
knowledge useful or required.  Anyone new(er) to Linux/UNIX is
probably best served starting at the top and working downward.  The
exception is in the area of wordsmithing -- we can all always use a
good editor, and share that workload with each other.

- Karsten

[1] Great article on the reason technical teams always have a "Russian
Lit Major" (person with liberal arts education v. computer science or
math)

http://www.randsinrepose.com/archives/2006/09/06/russian_history.html
http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
AD0E0C41