User Guide

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Sun Dec 7 08:14:49 UTC 2008

On Sun, Dec 07, 2008 at 01:07:19AM -0500, Matthew Daniels wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> I'm planning on taking on the User Guide.  If anyone has any suggestions
> or issues, please let me know.  As it stands, the User Guide pages on the
> wiki are kind of mixed up between F8, F9, and F10.  Any help resolving
> this would be appreciated.

There are two different areas, but we can forget about one of them.

= F9 content =

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User_Guide
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User_Guide_tasks

This is content that was copied from F8 (below) and has begun to
update to F9.  For example, Elizabeth Ann updated the Financial
Software chapter to both F9 and a new format.

This content is where we want to work.  My recommendation has been,
let's finish F9 then start work on F10 content.  If we have more
resources, we can work in parallel on both.

= F8 content =

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Drafts/DesktopUserGuide

We have two choices here, since F8 is about to hit end of community
support.  Some months ago, we had pursued pushing the F8 content out
to XML as a full book.

One option is to shelf it -- move it all to Archive: and stop worrying
about it.

The second option is to publish it for F8 on the wiki in a way that is
useful for F8 users.

Between the two, the second is a pretty good one.  With a little work,
we get something useful that can sit as-is or be updated by those who
care.  While we move on to F9, F10, etc.

What little work?  Here's some fodder for an [[F8 User Guide tasks]]
page:

* Move all pages to new naming scheme: [[F8 User Guide-Chapter
  Name]]

* Make sure all pages are in [[Category:Documentation]],
  [[Category:User Guide]], maybe [[Category:Fedora 8]]?

* Link to it from docs.fp.org, other locations in the wiki, some other
  publicity

* Do any further editing in place as an active document

A third option is to move entirely to covering only Fedora 10, closing
out the F8 content and updating the F9 to F10.  We may need that
option if we cannot get everything done with available resources.

- Karsten
http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
AD0E0C41