Packaging Guidelines Organization

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 17:50:22 UTC 2008

Howdy folks,

I'm on the Fedora Packaging Committee and we are in desperate need of
some docs help.

We manage the Packaging Guidelines which help packagers and reviewers
create quality packages for Fedora.  Unfortunately, as time has
progressed the Guidelines have grown larger and larger in an "organic"
fashion.  In order to keep the policies managable for people new to
Fedora we need to organize them somehow.  There's several threads in this:

1)
We want something that helps the packager and reviewer find all the
Guidelines that apply to the package that they are working on but not to
the ones they are not.  So we need some sort of navigation based on
questions the packager and reviewer can answer about the packages:

General Review Items

What programming languages is this written in?

Is this a library or an application?

2)
We want to have a checklist of items to look at with more in-depth
information about why a Guideline exists available to those who want to
know more.

3)
Some of our extra information is more HOWTO-oriented.  For instance, the
section on Package Naming talks about how to choose a name for a package
and how to structure the version strings so that they are always upgradable.

If we could get someone to help us work out this restructuring I'm here
to work on these things from the FPC side.  Feel free to contact me via
this list, email, fedora-packaging-list, or on IRC: abadger1999
(#fedora-devel, #fedora-admin).

-Toshio